The kids’ first day of summer was this past Monday, so I am almost through one whole week of Summer 2012. Its been great. And, I’m not just saying that to force myself to be positive 🙂 . It truly has been relaxing and full of fun activities.
I love watching my kids have a ball in the pool splashing around and hanging out with their friends. It has been so nice having a break from reminding the kids about their homework or school projects.
I’m also lucky this summer since all of my kids are doing the same activity this summer – Swimming. This is my first summer where I only need to think about one activity. SO nice.
Since all three of my little ones are on the swim team, we have great structure to our days with swim practices, swim team acitivities, and swim meets on Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings.
With such a nice start to the summer, I thought it would be a good idea for me to write down a few goals for the summer to ensure these two months continue to go well, and that we accomplish items on our lingering “to do” list. Here is my list so far (I will probably add more later….)
Summer 2012 Goals
- Finish Reading the Autobiography of Steve Jobs – – I really love this book, but keep getting distracted by other books, like NurtureShock and ScreamFree Parenting. I am halfway through and really love Walter Isaacson’s writing style, and find the behind the scenes look at Apple and Jobs fascinating. Now, I have to focus and put this book in the finished pile.
- Read The Hunger Games Trilogy – Broadway is reading this right now, and, since this trilogy has taken the world by a storm, I am really curious. I also want to be “in the know” about popular reads for my kid’s ages.
- Paint My Kid’s Bathroom Aqua – been on the “to do” list for at least a year now
- Put a new sunbrella covering on the top of our outdoor play structure
- Take more bike rides with the Family – we are finally at a point where all five of us can ride together on a long bike ride. Bam-Bam is now able to ride on a tag-a-long that we have attached to Mountain Man’s bike. Instead of being couped up in the burley trailer, he now gets to pedal along with the rest of us. So much fun and so cute. 🙂
- Book a four night getaway to the Mountains – we rented a beautiful condo from VRBO last summer in August on the Lake and just loved it. It was one of the best family getaways we have ever had and I would love to repeat this one!
- Take the Kids to the Library at least once per week
- Go on several one day beach trips
- Read “The Bronze Horseman” – I read this glowing review on The Scribbling Bookworm about this book and I just have to read it. It is a love story set during World War II. This will be a nice change for me from the intense Steve Jobs biography and my parenting books.
- Go on a Date with Mountain Man at least once per week
- Get Rid of Clothes I have not worn in a year – been on my list for awhile. 🙁
- Get Rid of Clutter around the house
- Attend my Masters Swim Team Workout at least three times per week
- Keep my cool with my Kids – I am trying to follow the advice of Hal Edward Runkel and keep my cool with my kids, instead of being reactive when the long summer days get the better of my patience.
I plan on sticking to this list and knocking off the goals one by one. As Imagineer pointed out, we only have 77 days left of summer. We better make the most of it! 🙂