These are my favorite brownies, hands down.
This special rocky road brownie recipe came from my Great Grandmother. My Mom gave me this recipe on a card many years ago, and up at the top, she wrote “Given to me in 1964 from Grandma”.
When you look at the card, you can tell, it has been well used.
The card is a bit wrinkled, has some food stains on it, and some of the ink has smeared.
In other words, this has been a well loved recipe for quite awhile now, and I have made it many, many times. I think its because these brownies offer such a unique and rich taste, that I haven’t really found in other brownies.
They taste to me like a mixture of a delicious chocolate walnut brownie with rocky road fudge on top.
Yes, they are rich, but so so good.
I wanted to note that I used a 13×9 inch pan for the brownies above. I actually doubled the original recipe that you see below. I was making them for a block party, so we needed lots of gooey and delicious brownies this time.
The original recipe below is great for a family of 5-6. The brownies are so rich, they go a long way.
- ½ cup margarine
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 T milk
- 1 pkg (6oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sifted all purpose flour
- ¼ t baking soda
- ½ t salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups miniature marshamallows
- Melted Chocolate Topping
- 1 pkg (6oz) chocolate chips
- 1 T shortening
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Stir in sugar and milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate chips and vanilla.
- Stir until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in nuts, mix until well blended.
- Pour into greased 9 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Immediately cover top with marshmallows.
- Cool in pan.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening over hot (not boiling) water; pour over marshmallows, spreading if necessary.
- Chill for at least two hours in fridge.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Okay…I think I just gained all forty pounds back reading this post. lol I am so going to try these…might have to run a bit extra but those look so worth it. I will definatly give your blog a shout out when I do them….thanks for sharing the recipe and for stopping by my blog!!
Alisha recently posted..six words
Melinda (Mom on the Make) says
You deserve it! I think, if you’re going to go for a treat, it better be worth it. And, trust me, these definitely are. Can’t wait to hear how you like them. Thanks for visiting! 🙂
I think these look delicious. I will definitely try these at home. I would bake them right now if I could. 🙂