I read a “Harold and the Purple Crayon” book to Bam-Bam this afternoon, and was reminded about how creative this series of books is for the little ones.
“Harold and the Purple Crayon”, By Crockett Johnson, is a very unique children’s series about a little boy with a magical purple crayon. The stories always take place right before his bedtime.
As Harold’s imagination unfurls, bit by bit, he draws what is in his head and the people and places that he draws come to life.
In “Harold’s Fairy Tale”, for example, he draws a king, a castle, and flowers that turn into fairies. He also draws a hole just big enough for him to crawl into the castle. When he becomes tired in his adventure, he draws a flying carpet to fly him back to his living room.
The stories always end with Harold becoming sleepy and wanting to crawl into his
bed after his big adventure. Because of these endings, the stories are perfect for bedtime. Very calm and soothing.
What would I draw with my purple crayon?
Wow, the ideas are endless.
I will list below what first comes to mind.
I would grab that little purple crayon and draw the following:
1. A Lake House. I would also draw up a deed showing that I own the house free and clear. This would become one of my vacation homes.
2. The vineyards in Napa Valley, then the best restaurant in the Valley for Mountain Man and I to indulge in.
3. The perfect last minute babysitter standing on our doorstep so that Mountain Man and I can go on a surprise overnight getaway.
4. A maid to clean up my house and backyard after a particularly messy day.
5. A magic carpet to fly my family of five to Hawaii, so that we can save on airfare.
6. The perfect Hawaiian plantation house on the shores of Hanalei, Kauai, HI. This house would be walkable to the best beach in the world, Hanalei Bay. I would make sure of this by drawing the sands of this beach within a few hundred feet of our front door. And, yes, you guessed it, I would also draw up a deed with my name as the owner. 🙂
7. My own private jet so that I can fly to Greece or anywhere that I happen to be interested in going on a particular day.
Those ideas were just off the top of my daydreaming head. I will have to do another post on the adventures I would draw up with my crayon. I’m thinking that some time traveling might be in order. 🙂