I wanted to make my Mom’s recipe for Chicken Tortilla Casserole tonight, so I brought up my blog’s recipe category. Much to my surprise, the recipe was not there!
This is one of my favorite go-to casseroles that I have been enjoying for decades, and am shocked I have not shared this one with you all.
So, for a Valentine’s Day treat, you will now have access to the world’s best Chicken Tortilla Casserole recipe. 🙂
This casserole is what I was making yesterday when I mentioned my kitchen time in the lego post yesterday.
The layers of corn tortillas, fresh baked chicken, cream of chicken and mushroom soups mixed with fresh salsa, and fresh grated cheddar cheese is the perfect comfort food and a great family dinner.
One of the keys to this recipe is squeezing lots of lemon juice onto the chicken breasts and wrapping in aluminum foil before baking in a 400 degree oven for one hour. The lemon juice really makes the chicken moist. I know this is the best way, because I have tried to use shortcuts like boiling the chicken. Definitely not as good. Make time for the one hour baking time – its worth it!
Chopped Baked Chicken……
Start layering tortillas, chicken, soup mix, grated cheddar cheese, then repeat.
Top off the second layer with tortillas, then grated cheese on top. This is such a great touch. Its like mini cheese crisps on top of your casserole.
- 12 Tortillas
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups fresh mild salsa
- 1 cup milk
- 2-3 cups grated cheddar cheese or mexican mix cheese
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice on chicken breasts.
- Wrap chicken breasts in aluminum foil and bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Cut baked chicken into bite size pieces.
- Put cooking spray on a 9x13 pan.
- Mix the soups, milk and salsa in a medium bowl.
- Cut tortillas into 4 sections, creating triangles.
- Place a layer of tortilla triangles on sprayed dish for first layer.
- Place half of chopped chicken onto tortillas.
- Cover chicken with half of soup mix.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on soup mix.
- Repeat Layer.
- Place extra layer of tortilla triangles on top layer and sprinkle cheese on tortillas for mini cheese crisps.
You are going to love this one! ENJOY!!
Yum…I remember this was one of my favorite dinners while growing up. I was always happy to see Mom making this for dinner. 🙂 I’ve been intending track down this recipe. I’m glad you posted it ! 🙂