I love finding recipes that are flavorful and healthy.
My 9 year old daughter loves stuffed peppers, so I try to make them once a month or so.
When I think of a stuffed pepper dinner, I think of green peppers stuffed with a turkey, onion, and tomato sauce mixture.
This fresh mex version caught my attention immediately, so I decided to give it a try.
Very happy I did. 🙂
I love the melted cheddar cheese on top of the peppers. After the peppers cook for 45 minutes, you remove the foil and sprinkle cheese on top.
Cook for five minutes and they are all set.
I served the peppers with a side of Trader Joe’s corn chips. Have you tried these chips? They are definitely the best corn chips by far in my book.
They served as the perfect complement to this dish. We used them to scoop up extra turkey filling. Yum.
- For the filling:
- ½ lb lean ground turkey
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 large diced tomato
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 4 Tablespoons of chopped onion
- 3 Tablespoons of Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon of Cumin
- 4 oz can Diced Chiles
- salt to taste
- For the peppers:
- 3 red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- ⅓ cup reduced sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 9 tbsp shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped green onions
- In a large skillet brown the turkey and season with salt.
- When the turkey is starting to brown, add taco seasoning, onion and garlic.
- When turkey is cooked through add your black beans, corn, cilantro, diced tomatoes, and cumin.
- Mix well and simmer on low, covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook for 5 to 10 more minutes until most of the liquid is gone.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, removing seeds and stem.
- Place peppers, cut side up in an oven-proof dish. (I used a 9X13)
- Fill each pepper with ½ cup turkey mixture.
- Pour about ⅓ cup water or chicken broth on the bottom of the dish.
- Cover tight with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until the peppers become soft.
- Remove foil, top each with cheese and bake uncovered an additional 5 minutes. You can top with green onions and serve with sour cream as well for more flavor.
I found this wonderful recipe on Six Sisters Stuff and am so glad I tried it. It truly has a unique flavor and provides a healthy dinner for the fam.
You know I love stuffed peppers but I never think to make them, perhaps ’cause I’ve never actually had a recipe… things are about to get spicy in paradise. =) Thanks for the recipe and tutorial.
‘just wanted to thank ya for joining me for An Aloha Affair. We have a beautiful team of bloggers hosting this week and I would so love it if you’d join us, again.
‘hope to see ya soon.
Katherines Corner says
a delicious twist on stuffed peppers! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop. Wishing you a happy weekend. xo
Katherines Corner recently posted..Get Cozy