Oh my goodness, these are so good. I love homemade frosting and I love moist cupcakes.
So, when I found this recipe, it went on my “to make” list about a month ago.
Finally I made them a few days ago.
The family raved and raved.
Poor Mountain Man only got two of them.
I need to make them again soon.
They’re pretty easy to make and the few extra steps are so worth it.
Here’s the scoop:
The boiling water will create a very moist cupcake in the end. At this point, the batter will feel a little runny, but there is no need to worry. It is supposed to somewhat runny at this point. This step makes the texture of the cupcakes perfect and very moist.
I want to thank Aly at 17 Sirens for sharing this recipe. I did not add coffee as Aly suggests, but I’m sure that would add a nice flavor kick too!
For print out:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 Sticks Softened, unsalted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (or more to taste)
- 1-2 teaspoons water (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Gently mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla to dry mixture and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water. Your batter should be somewhat runny or pourable.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup or liquid measuring cup to scoop out dough. Fill each cupcake liner about halfway full.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Vanilla Frosting
- Place your butter in a bowl and mix for a minute to break up the sticks.
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time, completely incorporating into the butter.
- Add vanilla. Mix for 2-3 minutes. If you frosting is too thick, add 1-2 teaspoons of water to thin.
- Frost your cupcakes and ENJOY!